Tags: curry, garlic, puli, tamarind
- Garlic – 10 to 12 cloves (Big one)
- Onion – 1/2
- Tomato – 1
- Tamarind – Big gooseberry size
- Mustard seeds and Urad dal – 1/2 tspn
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
- Oil – 2 to 3 tspn
- Salt – to taste
Roast and make a paste of:
- Red chilies – 3 to 4
- Coriander seeds – 1/2 tspn
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tspn
- Peppercorns – 1/4 tspn
- Fennel seeds(perunjeeragam) – 1/4 tspn
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Garlic – 4 to 5
- Finely chop Onion and Tomato. Soak Tamarind in water for 15 minutes. Extract about a cup tamarind juice from it and keep aside.
- Heat a tspn of Oil in a pan. Add Red chilies, Coriander seeds, Cumin seeds, Peppercorns, Fennel seeds, Curry leaves and roast till they are light brown, then remove from pan.
- Roast 4 to 5 Garlic cloves till they are golden brown. Then make a very fine paste of these roasted items.
- Heat little Oil in a pan, add Mustard seeds and Urad dal. Once the seeds starts
spluttering add Curry leaves and Garlic, fry till they are light brown.
- Add Onion and fry till they are golden brown. Then add Tomatoes and fry till they become soft.
- Add Turmeric powder, ground masala paste and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add Tamarind juice, 1 or 2 cups of water and Salt to it. Keep the stove in high heat and bring the curry to boil completely, then reduce the heat to medium.
- Cook till the curry becomes thick and Garlic are soft.