Tags: bottle gourd, cow peas, Thattai payiru
- Cow peas (Thattai payaru)- 1 cup
- Bottle guard (Suraikkai)- 250 g
- Small onion- 7 to 8
- Tomato- 1 big size
- Grated coconut- 2 teaspoon
- Ginger- small piece(optional)
- Curry leave- few
- Tamarind- gooseberry size
- Turmeric powder- 1 ½ teaspoon
- Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
- Fennel seeds (Perunjeeragam)- ½ spoon(Optional)
- Mustard seeds and Urad dhal- 1/2 teaspoon
- Channa dal- 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chili- 3
- Salt and Oil- to taste
- Soak the Cow peas for 7 to 8 hr and pressure cook it for 1 whistle.
- Heat the Oil in a pan. Put the Cumin seeds, Fennel seeds and fry it.
- Then add the Small onions and fry until it turns golden brown.
- Then add the grated Coconut and fry for a minute.
- Then add the Coriander powder and Ginger.Grind all these items and keep it aside.
- Cut the Bottle guard into required size.
- Heat the Oil in the pan and add Mustard seeds, Urad dhal, Channa dal, Onion, Curry leaves and Red chillies. Fry until onion turns into golder brown.
- Add the sliced Tomato and saute for a minute.
- Add the Bottle guard and fry for a minute.
- Then add the Tamarind water, Salt and cook it for 2 min
- Then add the ground items and allow it to cook.
- When all these are cooked add the pressure cooked cow peas.
- Let it to cook for sometime and remove from the fire.
Goes well with: Rice and Chappathi.