Ingredients: (For 2 people)
- Tamarind – A lemon size
- Small onion (chinna vengayam) – 8 to 10
- Garlic – 4 to 5 piece
- Red chilies – 2 to 3
- Turmeric powder and Hing(perungaya thool) – A pinch
- Masala powder – 1 spoon
- Mustard and urad dhal – 1 tspn
- Fenugreek seeds (vendhayam) – 1/2 tspn
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – to fry
- Salt – As required.
- Soak the Tamarind for 15 mins. Squeeze out the juice from the Tamarind. You can add little fresh Water each time to extract the juice.
- Heat a pan, add 2 to 3 tspns of Oil. Add Mustard seeds, Urad dal and Fenugreek seeds.
- Add Onions, Garlic, Red chillies and Curry leaves. After the Onions turned into golden brown, add Turmeric powder, Hing, Masala powder and salt.
- Fry all the items in oil till the raw smell goes. Then add the Tamarind juice and add fresh water if required. When you fry the Masala powder use gingelly oil if possible.
- Keep it in very low flame. Once the curry is thick, romove from heat.
Goes well with: Hot Rice and Papad.
You can use this for 3 to 4 days also. Since we’ve used tamarind and oil, it doesn’t go bad.