Tags: snacks, ulunthu, urad dal, vada
- Urad dal(ulunthu) – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 ½ cups
- Green chili – 2
- Ginger – a small piece
- Curry leaves – 2 to 3 sprigs
- Coriander leaves – 3 to 4 sprigs
- Hing – 3 to 4 pinches
- Pepper – to taste (freshly ground)
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – to deep fry vadai
- Soak Urad dal for 1 hour in water.
- Grind soaked Urad dal by sprinkling 1/4 cup of water little by little.
- Add finely chopped Onion, Green chilies, Ginger, Curry leaves, Coriander leaves, Hing, Pepper and Salt to the Ground Urad dal.
- Mix all the ingredients with the ground dal by hand. Let this mix sit for 10 – 15 mins.
- Wet your palm with little water. Take a small amount of batter in your left palm, flatten it lightly, shape them into round and make a hole in the center.
- Drop it carefully into hot oil, turning once in a while, deep fry till golden brown.
- Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
Goes well with: Chutney, Sambar